Wednesday 10 November 2010

O Brother

Naked in the sea, I was as happy as a boy could be,
The words are all spoken between you and me,
If I could take it all back and start again then I probably wouldn’t,
Thought you knew me like a brother but you didn’t: you couldn’t,
I remember times spent with you in back alleys and over the hedge,
The bicycle wheel rolling down as we sat on the cliff’s edge,
You think we were really good friends, me and you?
It doesn’t matter to me! Does it matter to you?
Like two hungry strays we both needed each other,
The barkeep and the drunk always happy for another,
Now we move in separate ways and places far apart,
Memories that have shaped my life, always in my heart,
I will never go back to times we once held close,
New man I am brother; on the inside I suppose,
This doppelganger who was always right,
Didn’t go peacefully: put up quite a fight,
Now for the moment I will lead the way,
But even I know that it will come – his day,
My life will never be the same for me,
Now I know what it is like to feel free,
I am the dog that has been given the bone,
I am free at last but oh so very alone,
Where are my brothers that liked to see me, and wanted for nothing in return?
Where are my brothers that didn’t see me as a way to earn?
Brothers for whom I so fondly dream, but I am an only child,
What happy life is this? I can only describe it as mild,
The tide turns in relentless monotony,
What have I achieved what has life gotten me?
I can see my path which I must now take; into the future and leave behind the past,
My devilish twin, niceness he tries to fake but this time the nice guy won’t finish last.
As I learn from my mistakes and proceed up this ladder,
The rung in my hand turns into the tempting adder,
I must let go and let myself stand tall,
My new sense of determination prevents me from a fall.
My aspirations speak volumes on the new me,
Why not take time to listen: why not come and see?
But you will never change I can see that in your eyes,
You can say you have and wear that crude disguise,
Your fooling no one other than yourself,
Dream you will never achieve of happiness and wealth,
Oh brother there is no easy option in life,
Rewards are much greater gained through toil and strife,
I wish you could understand: I wish you could see,
I wish you would lose that pride and for a moment listen to me!
Brother you are now just part of my history painted red,
I enjoyed our time spent but I am glad you are dead,
My ghostly twin speaks to me causing great trepidation,
Thoughts of you, my brother, and our reincarnation,
But these are merely thoughts so frivolous; they will never occur,
That is a definite and of that I am definitely sure.
To you, oh brother, I drink one last time,
I have my life now, and you have your crime,
I hope that one day you will realise what life is worth,
And value your time and place on this earth,
If that time does ever come I hope you will visit me,
I have something to show you; something I want you to see,
I now smile at life and laugh at this my memory,
O Brother I will tell you now, O Brother,
I am free!

No comments:

Post a Comment